Open Call for Writers!
by Julius Ferraro
We are looking for NEW WRITERS and encourage the following people to consider joining us:
· those who want to develop their writing skills and are interested in the practice of constructive critique
· individuals new to writing who connect strongly to dance (artists, audience members, presenters)
· people new to dance who connect strongly to writing (poets, journalists, scholars, students)
· anyone interested in experimenting with new journalistic forms
· advocates committed to covering diverse styles and genres of dance
What do we expect of thINKingDANCE WRITERS?
· writers will attend at least eight out of 12 monthly thINKingDANCE meetings; meetings are held in Center City on the first Tuesday of each month, 7-9 pm
· writers are invited to about four workshops/retreats per year (typically on a weekend day)
· writers are expected to contribute 6-10 articles per year, featuring a variety of formats: reviews, interviews, news, think pieces
How do thINKingDANCE WRITERS benefit from being involved?
· access to free workshops by leading dance writers and scholars
· mentorship by experienced dance writers, with two rounds of editing on each article then published on the website (which is read internationally)
· stimulating networking opportunities with the other tD writers
· a small honorarium for participation
· a wonderful outlet for creative thINKing
· privileged access to a diversity of performances in Philadelphia and elsewhere
How to apply?
Please send by email:
· a Letter of Interest indicating any relevant experience and motivation for participating (1 page maximum)
· a short writing sample—it need not be dance-related (1000 words maximum)
Send to Julius Ferraro (tD editor-in-chief): firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application materials: February 5th, 2018
Criteria for Selection:
· potential for committed engagement and willingness to make full use of this professional development opportunity
· diversity that represents the broad dance constituency in Philadelphia
· a writing sample that demonstrates some of the following: creative expression, English language fluency, curiosity, a distinctive voice, and provocative ideas
thINKingDANCE is a consortium of dance artists and writers who work together to comment widely on the myriad forms dance can take. Based in Philadelphia, thINKingDANCE works to increase visibility for local dance, encourage new forms of dance writing, broaden the scope of our coverage, and increase audience receptivity to dance. We do this through live events as well as online at www.thinkingdance.net. Our leadership (director, editor-in-chief, chair of board, and leaders in editing, communications, and education) are drawn from within the organization. All members are encouraged to participate in the areas of our organization where they have interest and expertise.
thINKingDANCE has been supported by The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, Philadelphia Cultural Fund, and Pennsylvania Council of the Arts. Partners have included Artblog, DanceUP, FringeArts, the LAB (Live Arts Brewery), Mighty Writers, the Performance Garage, and Philadelphia Dance Projects.
By Julius Ferraro
January 12, 2018